Click Here For Free Blog Backgrounds!!!
Blogaholic Designs

FTC Disclosure

I review books on a regular basis. These books are usually provided by the publisher or author. I am not paid for my reviews in any way.

Tuesday, July 12, 2011

Here Burns My Candle-My Book Review

I was excited to read my copy when I received it for review from Waterbrook Multnomah Blogging for Books for a couple reasons.First, I am a fan of Liz Curtis Higgs and I also had heard so many good things about this book.

The novel follows the Kerr family in 1745, the story focusing on Lady Elisabeth Kerr and her mother-in-law, the dowager Lady Marjory Kerr. The bonny Prince Charlie and his army of Jacobites have ridden into town and are preparing to take back their land. The Rising has a profound effect on Elisabeth and her husband Lord Donald, his brother and sister-in-law Andrew and Janet, and Marjory. The family is initially mixed in their loyalties- do they throw their support to Prince Charlie or stay loyal to King George? Elisabeth worries her Highlander loyalties, and thus to the bonny Prince, will divide her against her family. Each character's reaction to the turmoil around them sets the course for our tale.

Liz Curtis Higgs's historical novels trace a Biblical story. "Here Burns My Candle" is the first in a two-book series. This time around, the story is based on Ruth, Naomi, and Orpah.

The story moved quickly, for me, thanks to the dynamics between Elisabeth and Marjory. Marjory starts off as a snobby, critical, domineering mother-in-law. Watching her grow, seeing her reclaim her faith as Elisabeth comes to know who God is, was beautiful. I don't want to say much more than that. It is easy to say, I was captivated from the start. I'm very excited to dive into the sequel: Mine is the Night.
If you are a fan of historical fiction you will love this, but be prepared to look back in the glossary to try to decipher some of the words that Liz uses. It can be pretty crazy!

Deborah

1 comment:

Lucie said...

Oh, I LOVED this book! Soo glad that you are a fan too!

ChristianBookVideos.com

Pearls Girls

Woven By Words

Google Friend Connect

Southern Sassy Things Blog

Reviews By Molly

Reviews By Molly”=

Search This Blog

Powered by Blogger.

Labels